When nickel, titanium or zirconium alloys are not enough...
- Immune to numerous acids and chemicals (corrosion tables)
- Better corrosion resistance than nickel alloys, titanium or zirconium
- High strength and stiffness in vacuum and inert gas up to 2000°C (3600°F)
- Can become brittle when used in oxygen above 300°C
- High purity and biocompatibilty
- Tantalum Slip On Flange
- Tantalum grades, specifications and chemistry
- Datasheet for tantalum
- Slip on flange features and benefits
Tantalum slip on flanges are best known for its unmatched corrosion resistance and chemical inertness. Tantalum slip on flanges have a similar corrosion resistance to that of glass, but all of the typical mechanical and electrical properties of a metal.
Tantalum slip on flanges are also extremely stable at high temperatures, since tantalum has a melting point around 3000°C. High temperature applications require vaccum or inert gas since tantalum may embrittle when used in oxygen rich environments above 250°C. Tantalum slip on flanges are also one of the most bio-compatible metals available and is also radio-opaque due to its high density (16.68 g/cm3).
All tantalum slip on flanges are available in the form of a tantalum loose linings or with the Ultra-Metal tantalum diffusion surface on select flange styles. Due to the cost and limited mechanical properties of tantalum, solid tantalum slip on flanges are rarely used.
Contact our engineers to learn if tantalum slip on flanges are right for your application.
Tantalum (Commercially Pure)
Commercially pure tantalum metal is 99.95% pure tantalum has some o the best corrosion resistant properties of any metal. While its corrosion resistance is exceptional, it is relatively soft and mechanically similar in strength to copper.
Tantalum Specifications: UNS R05200, ASTM B521, B708
Tantalum 2.5% Tungsten (Ta-2.5W)
This grade of tantalum alloyed with 2.5% tungsten provided better overall strength while maintaining its exception corrosion resistant properties. For tantalum fastener applications this is usually preferred.
Tantalum 2.5% Tungsten Specifications: UNS R05252, ASTM B521, B708
- Density 16.6 g/cc
- Melting Point 3290 K, 2996°C, 5462°F
- Boiling Point 5731 K, 6100°C, 9856°F
- Coefficient of Thermal Expansion (20°C) 6.5 x 10(-6) / °C
- Electrical Resistivity (20°C) 13.5 microhms-cm
- Electrical Conductivity 13% IACS
- Specific Heat .036 cal/g/°C
- Thermal Conductivity .13 cal/cm(2)/cm°C/sec
TANTALUM SHOWS A NIL CORROSION RATE TO THE FOLLOWING MEDIA
For all temperatures up to at least 302F (150C) unless otherwise indicated
Chlorine, dry, <250°C (480°F)
TANTALUM SHOWS LIMITED CORROSION RESISTANCE TO THE FOLLOWING MEDIA
Hydrogen, >300°C (570°F)Hydrogen fluoride
Potassium hydroxide, conc.
Sodium hydroxide, conc.
Tantalum slip on flanges are similar to the socket weld flange but without the socket shoulder. When using a socket weld flange, the pipe rests against this internal shoulder. Since a slip on flange does not have shoulder, the pipe can slide completely through the flange hub and is free to spin.
- Typically lower in price than weld-neck flange, yet welding costs can be more.
- There is a reduced need to cut the pipe length accurately, making it easier to install.
- The slip on flange is free to spin on the pipe for easy bolt alignment.
- They require two fillet welds: one fillet weld at the hub of the flange and a second weld at the inside diameter of the flange near the flange face.
- Though they can be used for high temperature and pressure applications, they typically are not as other flange types give a more secure joint.