A Ni-Cu alloy with high strength and good corrosion resistance
- Excellent resistance to hydrofluoric acid
- Excellent resistance to sea water for marine applications
- High strength metal with good toughness at high temperatures
- Monel Grades: Alloy 400 and K500
- Monel socket head cap screw features and benefits
Monel® socket head cap screws, like Monel 400 and K500, are made from a nickel-copper alloy and exhibit high strength, toughness and good corrosion resistance over a wide temperature range. An outstanding characteristic of Monel socket head cap screws is that they offer exceptional resistance to hydrofluoric acid, a particularly tough acid to deal with, in all concentrations up to the boiling point. For hydrofluoric acid applications Monel socket head cap screws are perhaps the most resistant of all commonly used specialty alloys.
Monel alloy 400 & K500 socket head cap screws also exhibit excellent corrosion resistance in marine applications and have reasonable corrosion resistance to sulfuric and hydrochloric acids under reducing conditions.
Because of these characteristics, Monel socket head cap screws are often found in marine and chemical processing applications.
When it comes to Monel socket head cap screws, it’s all about clearance. These screws are the best choice for applications with limited installation access or clearance. Yet if you have an application with a lot of debris, you may want to select a Monel hex head bolt or hex head cap screw, as they don’t have a socket drive which could get clogged.
- Ideal for applications with limited access as they require very little clearance around the fastener.
- Socket head cap screws can be used in locations where externally wrenched fasteners aren't desirable.
- Weight reduction on application as Monel socket head cap screws are smaller – being that the cylindrical heads of socket screws need less space than hex heads and require no additional wrench space.
- Also known for safety, reliability and economy.
Monel 400, UNS N04400 (QQ-N-281), is a nickel-copper alloy with high strength and excellent corrosion resistance in a range of media including sea water, hydrofluoric acid, sulfuric acid, and alkalies. Monel 400 is commonly in marine engineering, chemical and hydrocarbon processing applications.
Monel 400 Specifications: BS3075NA13 (Wire), BS3076NA13 (Bar), ASTM B 164 (Rod, Bar, and Wire), ASTM B 564 (Forgings), ASME SB 164 (Rod, Bar, and Wire), ASME SB 564 (Forgings), AECMA PrEN 2305 (Wire for Rivets), SAE AMS 4675 (Bars and Forgings), SAE AMS 4730 (Wire), SAE AMS 4731 (Wire and Ribbon), DIN 17752 (Rod and Bar), DIN 17753 (Wire), DIN 17754 (Forgings), VdTÜV 263 (Sheet, Plate, Bar, and Tubing), QQ-N-281 (Plate, Sheet, Strip, Bar, Rod, Wire, and Forgings)
Monel K500, UNS N05500 (QQ-N-286), is a precipitation-hardenable nickel-copper alloy that combines the corrosion resistance of Monel alloy 400 with greater strength (over 2x as strong) and hardness. It also has low permeability and is nonmagnetic to temperatures as low as -150°F (-101°C).
Monel K500 Specifications: BS3075NA18 (Wire), BS3076NA18 (Rod and Bar), ASTM B 865 (Rod and Bar), DIN 17752 (Rod and Bar), DIN 17753 (Wire), DIN 17754 (Forgings), QQ-N-286 (Rod, Bar, Wire, and Forgings), SAE AMS 4676 (Rod and Bar), ASME Code Case 1192 (Rod and Bar), ISO 9723 (Bar), ISO 9724 (Wire), ISO 9725 (Forgings)