When extreme high temperature stability & strength are required
- Maintains strength at elevated temperatures
- Low distortion at high temperature
- Molybdenum must be used in vacuum or inert gas at high temperatures
- Common molybdenum grades and specifications
- Molybdenum Torx screw features and benefits
Molybdenum Torx screws possess a very high melting point of 2620°C, a low coefficient of thermal expansion and a high level of thermal conductivity. Because molybdenum Torx screws have the ability to withstand extremely high temperatures without changing shape, expanding or softening significantly, they are ideal for high strength / high temperature applications that are shielded from oxygen. Exposing molybdenum screws to oxygen above 600°C will cause them to readily oxidize.
As a result, molybdenum Torx screws find their way into high temperature vacuum furnaces, glass production, military and space applications where oxygen is not present.
Resources: Molybdenum Torque Spec
Molybdenum Torx screws are characterized by a 6-point star-shaped pattern, also called a star drive, spined socket or hexalobular (ISO 10664). Where Phillips heads were designed to cause the driver to cam-out (prevent overtightening), Torx screws were designed resist cam-out. This feature allows molybdenum Torx screws to provide increased torque as well as better torque transfer between driver and fasteners. This feature also helps to reduce wear on driver bits.
Molybdenum Torx Screw Advantages
- Resistant to cam out (process by which a screwdriver slips out of the head)
- Molybdenum Torx screws are more difficult to strip
- Increased tamper resistance as a star driver isn’t as common
- Driver insert is less susceptible to damage when over torqued than Allen head
Molybdenum (Commercially Pure)
Because of its high melting point of 2620C and its good strength, pure molybdenum finds it niche in high temperature vacuum or inert environments without oxygen.
Molybdenum Specifications: ASTM B386, ASTM B387, Type 361
TZM - Titanium / Zirconium / Molybdenum Alloy
This alloyed version of molybdenum provides enhanced strenght at elevated temperatures and is excellent for support structures in vacuum furnaces or other high temperatuer and oxygen free environments.
TZM Specifications: UNS R03630, ASTM B384, ASTM B385, ASTM B386, ASTM B387