An extremely strong precipitation hardened stainless steel
- Well suited for high strength applciaitons
- Up to 4x stronger than 316 stainless steel
- Maintains its mechanical strength up to 600°F
- 17-4PH Chemistry & Specifications
- ASTM F593 Grade 630
- ASTM A564 Grade 630
- 17-4PH pan head screw features and benefits
- 17-4PH Datasheet
17-4 PH pan head screws are made from a precipitation hardened stainless steel most known for its exceptional strength and its ability to maintain its mechanical properties to 600°F. Compared to 316 stainless steel, 17-4 PH screws yield strength is up over 4 times greater. When compared to Duplex 2205 screws, the yield strength of 17-4 PH can be up to 2-½ times greater.
17-4 pan head screws are available in 8 different aged (precipitation hardened) conditions offering a variety of mechanical properties (see below).
Resources: 17-4PH Torque Specs
17-4 PH Screw Types: 12 Point Screws, Button Head Cap Screws, Flat Head Screws, Hex Cap Screws, Pan Head Screws, Set Screws, Socket Head Cap Screws, Tamper Resistant Security Screws, Torx Screws, Vented Screws
Pan head screws are flat on top and rounded on the sides. 17-4PH pan head screws are ideal for:
- Small diameter fasteners – especially when the fastener size needed is too small for a wrench.
- When phillips or slotted drivers are desired. For many high strength specialty alloys, only slotted drives are available.
- Low torque applications because the drivers don’t offer as much force as a wrench.
- Large diameter head provides more clamping area.
How Are They Different from Button Head Screws?
17-4 PH pan head and button head screws have very similar profiles however, button head screws allow for a hex socket driver whereas pan head screws do not.
17-4PH Specifications: UNS S17400, AISI 630, ASTM A564-630, Werkstoff 1.4542, AMS 5604 Sheet, Strip and Plate, ASTM A 693 Plate
ASTM F593, Grade 630
This specification covers seven groups of stainless steel alloys, with ASTM F593, Grade 630 applying 17-4PH. ASTM F593 Grade 630 covers the requirements for 17-4PH stainless steel bolts, hex cap screws, and studs sized 0.25 to 1.50 inches, inclusive, in nominal diameter. It is intended for common use and for service applications requiring general corrosion resistance.
ASTM A564 GR 630
This specification covers bars and shapes (such as fasteners) of age hardened stainless steels such as 17-4PH. It includes hot-finished or cold-finished fasteners that are produced by hot rolling, extruding, or forging. Grade 630 shall be furnished in the solution-annealed or or age-hardened condition.