A mid-ranged corrosion resistant 6Mo alloy with good strength
- Good corrosion resistance to moderate acids & sea-water
- 50% stronger than stainless steel
- Usable temperature limit of 1000°F
- AL6XN chemistry & specifications
- 12 point screw features and benefits
- AL6XN Datasheet
Originally developed to combat sea water corrosion, AL6XN has expanded its role as being good mid-range corrosion resistant alloy. AL6XN 12 point screws are a low carbon, high purity, nitrogen-bearing "super-austenitic" stainless alloy. Also considered a 6Moly alloy, AL6XN screws are similar in chemistry and capabilities to Alloy 926 and SMO 254.With a higher nickel and molybdenum content than Duplex 2205 and Super Duplex 2507, it delivers better corrosion resistance while giving a more cost effective alternative to nickel super alloys like Inconel or Hastelloy in moderately corrosive conditions.
• Moderate general corrosion resistance
• Excellent chloride / salt water protection
• Good performance in phosphoric acid
• Moderate resistance to nitric acid
In chemical processes which utilize chlorides, such as paper mills and waste water, stress corrosion cracking (SCC) is a common culprit for 316L stainless failures. Duplex alloys will outlast environments that will cause SCC in 316 stainless, but for more severe low PH environments, 12 point screws made from higher nickel content alloys like AL6XN will generally work better. For the most extreme situations, alloys with >45% nickel content like Hastelloy are often considered.
Outstanding Resistance to Salt Water
Seawater is where AL6XN 12 point screws outperform so many alloys providing protection to stress corrosion cracking, pitting and crevice corrosion in a broad range of marine applications. AL6XN 12 point screws contain a minimum of 6% molybdenum content and it is this addition of molybdenum that provides the greatest protection against pitting and crevice corrosion.
Electrical Resistivity: 535 Ohm-circ mil/ft
Ultimate Tensile Strength: 108 ksi
0.2% Yield Strength: 53 ksi
Density: 0.291 lb/in 3
• High molybdenum content provides enhanced corrosion protection in chloride environments.
• Carbon helps to prevent sensitization during welding
• Chromium enhances pitting and crevice corrosion resistance
• The interstitial strengthening effect of nitrogen gives AL6XN 12 point screws good high strength properties
• Desalination plants depend on AL6XN 12 point screws for the salt water corrosion protection
• Pulp bleaching equipment and piping
• The power industry uses AL6XN 12 point screws where salt water and chlorides are present such as steam surface condensers, supercritical, high pressure, feed water heaters, steam surface condensers, flue-gas desulfurization equipment and in nuclear power water piping
• Chemical Processing - processing tanks, vessels and pipes as well as plate and frame heat exchangers.
Resources: AL6XN Torque Specs
AL6XN Screw Types: 12 Point Screws, Button Head Cap Screws, Flat Head Screws, Hex Cap Screws, Pan Head Screws, Set Screws, Socket Head Cap Screws, Tamper Resistant Security Screws, Torx Screws
AL6XN 12-Point Screw Features & Benefits
The driver of a AL6XN 12-point screw uses two overlapped hexagon shapes, creating 12-points and a flanged underside. These are also referred to as ferry cap screws or 12 point flange screws. The advantages of this head style include:
- Higher torque capability compared to a socket head cap screw
- Lack of recess to trap fluid or debris.
- As the heads are generally smaller than a hex, AL6XN 12-point screws are often used situations where installation space is tight and saving weight is critical.
The overall disadvantage is the extra cost involved in forming the heads.
The Controversy of 6 vs. 12 point Bolts
There is much debate over which bolt is better. Some say that the more points a nut or bolt has – such as a 12-point bolt - the less chance you have to round it off. And that the additional contact points of a 12 point screw give you more surface to apply load. While the jury is out as to the accuracy of this, it’s the application that should dictate whether the benefits of a 12 point screw out weight the additional costs of making them.
AL6XN Chemical Composition & Specifications
AL6XN Specifications: UNS N08367, ASTM A 240, ASTM B 688, ASME SA-240, ASME SB-688, ASTM B690, ASTM B691, ASTM A240, ASTM B688, ASME SA-240, ASME SB-688
AL6XN Mechanical Data
Corrosion Curves for AL6XN