A Ni-Cu alloy with high strength and good corrosion resistance
- Excellent resistance to hydrofluoric acid
- Excellent resistance to sea water for marine applications
- High strength metal with good toughness at high temperatures
- Monel Grades: Alloy 400 and K500
- Slip on flange features and benefits
Monel® slip on flanges, like Monel 400 and K500, are made from a nickel-copper alloy and exhibit high strength, toughness and good corrosion resistance over a wide temperature range. An outstanding characteristic of Monel slip on flanges is that they offer exceptional resistance to hydrofluoric acid, a particularly tough acid to deal with, in all concentrations up to the boiling point. For hydrofluoric acid applications Monel slip on flanges are perhaps the most resistant of all commonly used specialty alloys.
Monel alloy 400 & K500 slip on flanges also exhibit excellent corrosion resistance in marine applications and have reasonable corrosion resistance to sulfuric and hydrochloric acids under reducing conditions. Monel K500 slip on flanges are over 2x as strong as Monel 400 slip on flanges.
Because of these characteristics, Monel slip on flanges are often found in marine and chemical processing applications.
Monel 400, UNS N04400 (QQ-N-281), is a nickel-copper alloy with high strength and excellent corrosion resistance in a range of media including sea water, hydrofluoric acid, sulfuric acid, and alkalies. Monel 400 is commonly in marine engineering, chemical and hydrocarbon processing applications.
Monel 400 Specifications: BS3075NA13 (Wire), BS3076NA13 (Bar), ASTM B 164 (Rod, Bar, and Wire), ASTM B 564 (Forgings), ASME SB 164 (Rod, Bar, and Wire), ASME SB 564 (Forgings), AECMA PrEN 2305 (Wire for Rivets), SAE AMS 4675 (Bars and Forgings), SAE AMS 4730 (Wire), SAE AMS 4731 (Wire and Ribbon), DIN 17752 (Rod and Bar), DIN 17753 (Wire), DIN 17754 (Forgings), VdTÜV 263 (Sheet, Plate, Bar, and Tubing), QQ-N-281 (Plate, Sheet, Strip, Bar, Rod, Wire, and Forgings)
Monel K-500, UNS N05500 (QQ-N-286), is a precipitation-hardenable nickel-copper alloy that combines the corrosion resistance of Monel alloy 400 with greater strength (over 2x as strong) and hardness. It also has low permeability and is nonmagnetic to temperatures as low as -150°F (-101°C).
Monel K500 Specifications: BS3075NA18 (Wire), BS3076NA18 (Rod and Bar), ASTM B 865 (Rod and Bar), DIN 17752 (Rod and Bar), DIN 17753 (Wire), DIN 17754 (Forgings), QQ-N-286 (Rod, Bar, Wire, and Forgings), SAE AMS 4676 (Rod and Bar), ASME Code Case 1192 (Rod and Bar), ISO 9723 (Bar), ISO 9724 (Wire), ISO 9725 (Forgings)
Monel slip on flanges are similar to the socket weld flange but without the socket shoulder. When using a socket weld flange, the pipe rests against this internal shoulder. Since a slip on flange does not have shoulder, the pipe can slide completely through the flange hub and is free to spin.
- Typically lower in price than weld-neck flange, yet welding costs can be more.
- There is a reduced need to cut the pipe length accurately, making it easier to install.
- The slip on flange is free to spin on the pipe for easy bolt alignment.
- They require two fillet welds: one fillet weld at the hub of the flange and a second weld at the inside diameter of the flange near the flange face.
- Though they can be used for high temperature and pressure applications, they typically are not as other flange types give a more secure joint.