Ultra-strength combined with extreme temperature capabilities
- Extreme high strength properties up to 275 ksi ultimate tensile.
- Maintains superior strength to 1100°F.
- MP159 chemisty and specification
- MP159 hex head cap screw features & benefits
As aerospace engineering advances, so must the materials to meet the technological requirements of this industry. Screws made from MP159 have been developed to provide a solution to high temperature, high strength components. MP159 hex head screws offer strength capabilities similar to other Cobalt Alloys (MP35N) but can be used at much higher temperatures - up to 1100°F, compared to MP35N’s usable limit of 800F. In addition, MP159 hex head cap screws can be used beyond 1100°F in short term situations.
- High ultimate tensile strength of 275 ksi and yield strength of 265 ksi (Cold Worked and Age Hardened) combined with excellent ductility and toughness
- Similar corrosion resistance compared to MP35N which is usable in mineral acids, hydrogen sulfide, seawater and salt spray environments.
- Excellent fatigue resistance and creep strength at elevated temperatures
- Excellent resistance to crevice corrosion, stress corrosion cracking and hydrogen embrittlement
- The aerospace industry relies on MP159 screws for its most advanced gas turbine and jet engines, rocket boosters and jet propulsion systems.
- Power generation and chemical processing utilize MP159 hex head screws for applications that demand high strength at extreme temperatures.
Resources: MP159 Torque Spec
MP159 Screw Types: 12 Point Screws, Button Head Cap Screws, Flat Head Screws, Hex Cap Screws, Pan Head Screws, Set Screws, Socket Head Cap Screws, Torx Screws
It is important to differentiate between a MP159 hex head cap screw and hex head bolt. Often people assume they are the same, but they are actually very different fasteners in terms of how they are manufactured, as well as from an application perspective. Regardless of your choice, MP159 hex heads offer strong, stable joints because of their large head service.
The Hex Comparison
|Hex Head Cap Screw||Hex Head Bolts|
MP159 Hex Head Cap Screw Advantages
The most important feature of a MP159 hex head cap screws is that it has a larger bearing surface area which provide better clamping pressure than other type of fastener such as a socket head cap screw. Additionally, since debris build up is less of an issue with this style of fastener verses a socket head cap screw, they are ideal of dirty applications where particles could clog up a socket. Though MP159 socket heads are typically used for tight access applications, hex heads can be a better choice when there is only side clearance available for tightening.
MP159N Specifications: UNS R30159