When extreme high temperature stability & strength are required
- Maintains strength at elevated temperatures
- Low distortion at high temperature
- Molybdenum must be used in vacuum or inert gas at high temperatures
- Molybdenum grades and specifications
- Molybdenum socket head cap screw features and benefits
Molybdenum socket head cap screws possesses a very high melting point of 2620°C, a low coefficient of thermal expansion and a high level of thermal conductivity. Because molybdenum screws have the ability to withstand extremely high temperatures without changing shape, expanding or softening significantly, they are ideal for high strength / high temperature applications that are shielded from oxygen. Exposing molybdenum fastener to oxygen above 600°C will cause them to readily oxidize.
As a result, molybdenum socket head cap screws find their way into high temperature vacuum furnaces, glass production, military and space applications where oxygen is not present.
Resources: Molybdenum Torque Spec
When it comes to molybdenum socket head cap screws, it’s all about clearance. These screws are the best choice for applications with limited installation access or clearance. Yet if you have an application with a lot of debris, you may want to select a molybdenum hex head bolt or hex head cap screw, as they don’t have a socket drive which could get clogged.
- Ideal for applications with limited access as they require very little clearance around the fastener.
- Socket head cap screws can be used in locations where externally wrenched fasteners aren't desirable.
- Weight reduction on application as molybdenum socket head cap screws are smaller – being that the cylindrical heads of socket screws need less space than hex heads and require no additional wrench space.
- Also known for safety, reliability and economy.
Molybdenum (Commercially Pure)
Because of its high melting point of 2620C and its good strength, pure molybdenum finds it niche in high temperature vacuum or inert environments without oxygen.
Molybdenum Specifications: ASTM B386, ASTM B387, Type 361
TZM - Titanium / Zirconium / Molybdenum Alloy
This alloyed version of molybdenum provides enhanced strenght at elevated temperatures and is excellent for support structures in vacuum furnaces or other high temperatuer and oxygen free environments.
TZM Specifications: UNS R03630, ASTM B384, ASTM B385, ASTM B386, ASTM B387