Specialty material fasteners make coal, gas, wind and solar energy possible
From wind and solar to coal and nuclear, specialty material fasteners are needed to generate electricity for the world. While there are so many issues that face the power generation industry, strength, high temperature and corrosion are the most common.
Whether generated by fossil fuels or renewable energy, power companies are constantly fighting corrosion.
Coal and Flue Gas Desulfurization
- Alloy 20 bolts are a go-to bolt with their ability to resist 20-40% concentration sulfuric acid
- Hastelloy C276 fasteners are commonly used for their superior resistance to sulfuric acid
- Incoloy 825’s resistance to phosphoric and sulfuric acid and sulfur-containing flue gases make it key to pollution control
Solar Panel Production
- Hastelloy bolts are used to combat hydrochloric and sulfuric acid used in semiconductor production
- Monel fasteners are key to preventing hydrofluoric acid corrosion used in manufacturing
- Incoloy bolts protect fromhighly oxidizing nitric acid also used in solar panel production
Off-Shore and Coastal Wind Farms
- Monel K500 bolts provide off-shore wind farms protection from salt water as well as 110ksi UTS
- Titanium Grade 5 is also a common choice for a combination of salt water protection and high strength
High Temperature Focus
Conventional power generation requires steam or hot combustion gas driven turbines. Gas flowing through turbines a typical power plant turbine can be as hot as 2300 degrees F, with cooling mechanisms only lowing the temperatures to 1500-1700F. To deal with this type of heat specialty materials are put to work.
- Incoloy 800 bolts are commonly used for steam generators, especially 800H and 800HT which are normally used in temperatures above 1500°F
- Inconel 600 and 625 fasteners are key in gas turbine engines because of their usability to 2000°F
- Ceramic screws like Alumina (2000°F) and Zirconia (3000°F) are also used in combustion chambers and other high temperature parts
- A286 bolts are used in high temperature exhaust streams
High Strength Focus