When extreme high temperature stability & strength are required
- Maintains strength at elevated temperatures
- Low distortion at high temperature
- Molybdenum must be used in vacuum or inert gas at high temperatures
- Common molybdenum grades and specifications
- Molybdenum pan head screw features and benefits
- Molybdenum datasheet
Molybdenum pan head screws possess a very high melting point of 2620°C, a low coefficient of thermal expansion and a high level of thermal conductivity. Because molybdenum screws have the ability to withstand extremely high temperatures without changing shape, expanding or softening significantly, they are ideal for high strength / high temperature applications that are shielded from oxygen. Exposing molybdenum pan head screws to oxygen above 600°C will cause them to readily oxidize.
As a result, molybdenum pan head screws find their way into high temperature vacuum furnaces, glass production, military and space applications where oxygen is not present.
Resources: Molybdenum Torque Spec
Pan head screws are flat on top and rounded on the sides. Molybdenum pan head screws are ideal for:
- Small diameter fasteners – especially when the fastener size needed is too small for a wrench.
- When phillips or slotted drivers are desired. For many high strength specialty alloys, only slotted drives are available.
- Low torque applications because the drivers don’t offer as much force as a wrench.
- Large diameter head provides more clamping area.
How Are They Different from Button Head Screws?
Molybdenum pan head and button head screws have very similar profiles however, button head screws allow for a hex socket driver whereas pan head screws do not.
Molybdenum (Commercially Pure)
Because of its high melting point of 2620C and its good strength, pure molybdenum finds it niche in high temperature vacuum or inert environments without oxygen.
Molybdenum Specifications: ASTM B386, ASTM B387, Type 361
TZM - Titanium / Zirconium / Molybdenum Alloy
This alloyed version of molybdenum provides enhanced strenght at elevated temperatures and is excellent for support structures in vacuum furnaces or other high temperatuer and oxygen free environments.
TZM Specifications: UNS R03630, ASTM B384, ASTM B385, ASTM B386, ASTM B387