An extremely strong precipitation hardened stainless steel
- Well suited for high strength applciaitons
- Up to 4x stronger than 316 stainless steel
- Maintains its mechanical strength up to 600°F
- 17-4 PH Chemistry & Specifications
- 17-4 PH socket head cap screw features and benefits
17-4 PH socket head cap screws are made from a precipitation hardened stainless steel most known for its exceptional strength and its ability to maintain its mechanical properties to 600°F. Compared to 316 stainless steel, 17-4 PH socket head cap screws yield strength is up over 4 times greater. When compared to Duplex 2205 socket head cap screws, the yield strength of 17-4 PH can be up to 2-½ times greater.
17-4 socket head cap screws are available in 8 different aged (precipitation hardened) conditions offering a variety of mechanical properties (see below).
Resources: 17-4PH Torque Specs
When it comes to 17-4 PH socket head cap screws, it’s all about clearance. These screws are the best choice for applications with limited installation access or clearance. Yet if you have an application with a lot of debris, you may want to select a 17-4 PH hex head bolt or hex head cap screw, as they don’t have a socket drive which could get clogged.
- Ideal for applications with limited access as they require very little clearance around the fastener.
- Socket head cap screws can be used in locations where externally wrenched fasteners aren't desirable.
- Weight reduction on application as 17-4 PH socket head cap screws are smaller – being that the cylindrical heads of socket screws need less space than hex heads and require no additional wrench space.
- Also known for safety, reliability and economy.
17-4PH Specifications: UNS S17400, AISI 630, ASTM A564-630, Werkstoff 1.4542, AMS 5604 Sheet, Strip and Plate, ASTM A 693 Plate