A mid-ranged corrosion resistant 6Mo alloy with good strength
- Good corrosion resistance to moderate acids & sea-water
- 50% stronger than stainless steel
- Usable temperature limit of 1000°F
- AL6XN chemistry & specifications
- Shoulder bolt features and benefits
- AL6XN Datasheet
Originally developed to combat sea water corrosion, AL6XN has expanded its role as being good mid-range corrosion resistant alloy. AL6XN shoulder bolts are a low carbon, high purity, nitrogen-bearing "super-austenitic" stainless alloy. Also considered a 6Moly alloy, AL6XN bolts are similar in chemistry and capabilities to Alloy 926 and SMO 254.With a higher nickel and molybdenum content than Duplex 2205 and Super Duplex 2507, it delivers better corrosion resistance while giving a more cost effective alternative to nickel super alloys like Inconel or Hastelloy in moderately corrosive conditions.
• Moderate general corrosion resistance
• Excellent chloride / salt water protection
• Good performance in phosphoric acid
• Moderate resistance to nitric acid
In chemical processes which utilize chlorides, such as paper mills and waste water, stress corrosion cracking (SCC) is a common culprit for 316L stainless failures. Duplex alloys will outlast environments that will cause SCC in 316 stainless, but for more severe low PH environments, shoulder bolts made from higher nickel content alloys like AL6XN will generally work better. For the most extreme situations, alloys with >45% nickel content like Hastelloy are often considered.
Outstanding Resistance to Salt Water
Seawater is where AL6XN shoulder bolts outperform so many alloys providing protection to stress corrosion cracking, pitting and crevice corrosion in a broad range of marine applications. AL6XN shoulder bolts contain a minimum of 6% molybdenum content and it is this addition of molybdenum that provides the greatest protection against pitting and crevice corrosion.
Electrical Resistivity: 535 Ohm-circ mil/ft
Ultimate Tensile Strength: 108 ksi
0.2% Yield Strength: 53 ksi
Density: 0.291 lb/in 3
• High molybdenum content provides enhanced corrosion protection in chloride environments.
• Carbon helps to prevent sensitization during welding
• Chromium enhances pitting and crevice corrosion resistance
• The interstitial strengthening effect of nitrogen gives AL6XN shoulder bolts good high strength properties
• Desalination plants depend on AL6XN shoulder bolts for the salt water corrosion protection
• Pulp bleaching equipment and piping
• The power industry uses AL6XN shoulder bolts where salt water and chlorides are present such as steam surface condensers, supercritical, high pressure, feed water heaters, steam surface condensers, flue-gas desulfurization equipment and in nuclear power water piping
• Chemical Processing - processing tanks, vessels and pipes as well as plate and frame heat exchangers.
Resources: AL6XN Torque Specs
AL6XN Bolt Types: Hex Bolts, Shoulder Bolts
AL6XN Shoulder Bolt Features and Benefits
AL6XN shoulder bolts, also called stripper bolts are a unique fastener with three main parts: head, shoulder, and thread. The head has the largest diameter and is where the torque is applied, typically with a socket driver. The shoulder is smooth and unthreaded, and has a set diameter and length. The shoulder’s role is to act as a shaft or dowel for rotating parts, axles for rolling parts, guides for sliding elements, and pivot points. The final part of a AL6XN shoulder bolt is the threaded shaft. The threaded portion of a shoulder bolt has a major diameter slightly smaller than the shoulder diameter.
AL6XN Chemical Composition & Specifications
AL6XN Specifications: UNS N08367, ASTM A 240, ASTM B 688, ASME SA-240, ASME SB-688, ASTM B690, ASTM B691, ASTM A240, ASTM B688, ASME SA-240, ASME SB-688
AL6XN Mechanical Data
Corrosion Curves for AL6XN