Ultra-strength combined with extreme temperature capabilities
- Extreme high strength properties up to 275 ksi ultimate tensile.
- Maintains superior strength to 1100°F.
- MP159 chemisty and specification
- MP159 flat head screw features & benefits
As aerospace engineering advances, so must the materials to meet the technological requirements of this industry. Screws made from MP159 have been developed to provide a solution to high temperature, high strength components. MP159 flat head screws offer strength capabilities similar to other Cobalt Alloys (MP35N) but can be used at much higher temperatures - up to 1100°F, compared to MP35N’s usable limit of 800F. In addition, MP159 flat head screws can be used beyond 1100°F in short term situations.
- High ultimate tensile strength of 275 ksi and yield strength of 265 ksi (Cold Worked and Age Hardened) combined with excellent ductility and toughness
- Similar corrosion resistance compared to MP35N which is usable in mineral acids, hydrogen sulfide, seawater and salt spray environments.
- Excellent fatigue resistance and creep strength at elevated temperatures
- Excellent resistance to crevice corrosion, stress corrosion cracking and hydrogen embrittlement
- The aerospace industry relies on MP159 screws for its most advanced gas turbine and jet engines, rocket boosters and jet propulsion systems.
- Power generation and chemical processing utilize MP159 flat head screws for applications that demand high strength at extreme temperatures.
Resources: MP159 Torque Spec
MP159 flat head screws are characterized by having a head with a top flat surface (which can feature either a slotted, phillips or allen driver) and bottom that is cone shaped or countersunk. With this design, the head of the screw can align flush or below the surrounding surface having obvious benefits.
MP159 Slotted vs. Phillips Driver
|Slotted Head Advantages||Phillips Head Advantages|
| || |
For most MP159 flat head screw designs the angle of countersink is usually 82° for UNC and UNF applications however other angles ranging from 60° -120° could be specified.
|Thread Type||Normal Flat Head Countersink Angle|
UNC / UNF
|ISO Metric / Imperial||90°|
MP159N Specifications: UNS R30159