A mid-ranged corrosion resistant alloy with good strength
- Good corrosion resistance to moderate acids & sea-water
- 50% stronger than stainless steel
- Usable temperature limit of 1000°F
- AL-6XN chemistry & specifications
- Flat head screw features and benefits
Originally developed to combat sea water corrosion, AL6XN has expanded its role as being good mid-range corrosion resistant alloy. AL-6XN flat head screws are a low carbon, high purity, nitrogen-bearing "super-austenitic" stainless alloy. With a higher nickel and molybdenum content than Duplex 2205 and Super Duplex 2507, it deliver better corrosion resistance while giving a more cost effective alternative to nickel super alloys like Inconel or Hastelloy in moderately corrosive conditions.
• Moderate general corrosion resistance
• Excellent chloride / salt water protection
• Good performance in phosphoric acid
• Do not use in nitric acid
In chemical processes which utilize chlorides, such as paper mills and waste water, stress corrosion cracking (SCC) is a common culprit for 316L stainless failures. Duplex alloys will outlast environments that will cause SCC in 316 stainless, but for more severe low PH environments, flat head screws made from higher nickel content alloys like AL6XN will generally work better. For the most extreme situations, alloys with >45% nickel content like Hastelloy are often considered.
Outstanding Resistance to Salt Water
Seawater is where AL-6XN flat head screws outperform so many alloys providing protection to stress corrosion cracking, pitting and crevice corrosion in a broad range of marine applications. AL-6XN flat head screws contain a minimum of 6% molybdenum content and it is this addition of molybdenum that provides the greatest protection against pitting and crevice corrosion.
Electrical Resistivity: 535 Ohm-circ mil/ft
Ultimate Tensile Strength: 108 ksi
0.2% Yield Strength: 53 ksi
Density: 0.291 lb/in 3
• High molybdenum content provides enhanced corrosion protection in chloride environments.
• Carbon helps to prevent sensitization during welding
• Chromium enhances pitting and crevice corrosion resistance
• The interstitial strengthening effect of nitrogen gives AL-6XN flat head screws good high strength properties
• Desalination plants depend on AL-6XN flat head screws for the salt water corrosion protection
• Pulp bleaching equipment and piping
• The power industry uses AL-6XN flat head screws where salt water and chlorides are present such as steam surface condensers, supercritical, high pressure, feed water heaters, steam surface condensers, flue-gas desulfurization equipment and in nuclear power water piping
• Chemical Processing - processing tanks, vessels and pipes as well as plate and frame heat exchangers.
Resources: Al-6XN Torque Specs
AL-6XN flat head screws are characterized by having a head with a top flat surface (which can feature either a slotted, phillips or allen driver) and bottom that is cone shaped or countersunk. With this design, the head of the screw can align flush or below the surrounding surface having obvious benefits.
AL6XN Slotted vs. Phillips Driver
|Slotted Head Advantages||Phillips Head Advantages|
For most flat head screw designs the angle of countersink is usually 82° for UNC and UNF applications however other angles ranging from 60° -120° could be specified.
|Thread Type||Normal Flat Head Countersink Angle|
UNC / UNF
|ISO Metric / Imperial||90°|
Specifications: UNS N08367, ASTM A 240, ASTM B 688, ASME SA-240, ASME SB-688, ASTM B690, ASTM B691, ASTM A240, ASTM B688, ASME SA-240, ASME SB-688